http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/facelift/SerendipityBannercopy.jpg

Monday, March 22, 2010

Memory Monday- Moving Out West

When my father told us we were moving to Phoenix the whole family was shocked. My mind was racing... what is there? cactus? dirt? cowboys? tumbleweed? Let's just say I was less than thrilled to hear the news. So the months leading up to the move were filled with goodbyes, parties, pictures, mixed tapes, etc. Finally the day arrives.. friends and family are there to see us off to the "wild, wild, west" and our family dog starts acting strange. She can barely stand much less walk and is unresponsive. I think she senses something big is about to happen. So here we are putting the last few items in the cars and having to decide what to do with our dog Daisy. Can our beloved dog for over 11 years make the trip out west? The decision was made to put her to sleep. So with even more sadness and tears we headed out west.

The only thing I remember about the trip was that I sulked the whole LONG car ride. I kept playing "No One is to Blame" by Howard Jones on my Walkman. This was 1986. Play, Rewind, Play, repeat. Finally we arrived at our new home. Our house was a creamish stuccoish house with rocks and a giant saguaro cactus as landscaping. You must remember we just left Louisiana. Trees, grass, lush... This was a nightmare! My mother burst into tears. My father a little anxious and tired with a tinge of anger said, "Don't unpack! Let's turn around and go back." Of course we stayed and the rest they say is history.

No comments: